UK police have arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following renewed scrutiny connected to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.
In a statement released Thursday, Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest and said officers are conducting searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. While police did not officially name the individual, multiple major media outlets — including the BBC — report the circumstances match those of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, Duke of York.
According to the reports, the arrest follows fresh complaints linked to newly released Epstein-related documents made public in January 2026. The allegations reportedly concern claims that confidential government information may have been improperly shared during Andrew’s time as the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment, a role he held until 2011.
Police said:
“We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Searches are ongoing. The individual remains in custody.”
Misconduct in public office is a serious offence under UK law and can carry severe penalties if charges are ultimately brought.
Andrew has long denied any criminal wrongdoing in relation to Epstein. He has not issued a public statement following Thursday’s arrest, and requests for comment have so far gone unanswered.
The development marks a significant escalation in a controversy that has followed Andrew for years. He stepped back from public duties and lost royal titles in 2022 after settling a civil case brought by Virginia Giuffre, while maintaining his innocence.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer, asked earlier about accountability in public life, reiterated that “no one is above the law.”
No charges have been announced at this stage, and the investigation remains ongoing.
This is a developing story.

